Baja California Governor Marina Avila toured two Mexicali schools prior to the “imminent” reopening of schools for instruction.

Along with Secretary of Education Gerardo Solis, Gov. Avila spoke with parents, staff and union representatives at the Carmen Serdán Kindergarten and the Francisco I. Madero Junior High in the Colonia Nueva Esperanza neighborhood.

According to the Governor the state’s return to the green tier in the epidemiological light system opens the opportunity to school reopening soon.

The exact date for school reopening after almost two years of the pandemic will be announced in the next few days, she said.

Schools have been sanitized for weeks and prepared to receive hundreds of thousands of students and staff.

Sec. Solis said 90 percent of schools are ready for a safe reopening. The other 10 percent will be prepared soon. Schools have been supplied with soap, antibacterial gel, thermometers and other items, the authorities said.

Face mask use voluntary in outdoors

Baja California Governor Marina Avila said the use of face masks is voluntary outdoors.

The governor added that face masks are still mandatory indoors.

On Tuesday, Mexico’s Undersecretary of Public Health Hugo Lopez-Gatell said the pandemic in Baja California is on its final stage mainly thanks to its 92 percent vaccination rate.

As the state moved up to the green tier, many activities restricted for months were lifted Monday, but state authorities called residents to keep taking care of themselves.

The green tier allows businesses to fully reopen with basically no restrictions. Restaurants, movie theaters, markets, fitness centers, hotels, bars and shopping malls, among others, will reopen at 100 percent capacity.

Gov. Avila said school reopening will be announced soon.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *